facebook tag


Psychotherapy Services- FAQs

I’ve never talked to anyone. I’m used to handling things on my own. Aren’t people who go to therapy weak?

Not at all. People who ask for help know when they need it and have the courage to reach out. Everyone needs help now and then. In our work together, we’ll help you explore and identify your strengths and how to implement them to reduce the influence of the problems you are facing.

What’s the difference between talking to you or my best friend or family?

The difference is between someone who can do something, and someone who has the training and experience to do that same thing professionally. A mental health professional can help you approach your situation in a new way– teach you new skills, gain different perspectives, listen to you without judgment or expectations, and help you listen to yourself.

Furthermore, counseling is completely confidential. You won’t have to worry about others “knowing my business.” Lastly, if your situation provokes a great deal of negative emotion, and you’ve been confiding in a friend or family member, there is the risk that once you are feeling better you could start avoiding that person so you aren’t reminded of this difficult time in your life.

Why shouldn’t I just take medication?

Medication can be effective but it alone cannot solve all issues. Sometimes medication is needed in conjunction with counseling. Our work together is designed to explore and unpack the problems you are experiencing and expand on your strengths that can help you accomplish your personal goals.

How does it work? What do I have to do in sessions?

Because each person has different issues and goals for counseling, it will be different depending on the individual. We tailor our therapeutic approach to your specific needs.

How long will it take?

Unfortunately, this is not possible to say in a general FAQs page. Everyone’s circumstances are unique to them and the length of time counseling can take to allow you to accomplish your goals depends on your desire for personal development, your commitment, and the factors that are driving you to seek counseling in the first place.

I want to get the most out of therapy. What can I do to help?

We are so glad you are dedicated to getting the most out of your sessions.  As well as attending regular sessions, your active participation and dedication will be crucial to your success.

Are you covered by OHIP?

We are a private practice, therefore, we are not covered by OHIP.

If you are looking for public services, we recommend looking at the guide compiled by the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health:

Please pay this in mind: with public services, there are longer wait times, and the PDF only provides an estimate of those times.

If you are in crisis and in need of immediate assistance please call 9-1-1, go to your nearest Emergency Room or reach out to the Toronto Distress Centre at 416-408-4357, which is available 24 hours, 7 days a week.

What is the cost of therapy?

Our Registered therapist fees range per 50-minute session depending on the provider’s designation, experience, and the type of treatment required by the client.

All fees are within the recommended ranges by the professional colleges of each provider.

We also have an Intern program that offers a reduced rate. Please let us know if you are interested in this opportunity.

Please double-check with your insurance provider about what type of designation of therapy you are covered for so we can make sure to match you with the appropriate therapist designation – Registered Social Worker, Registered Psychotherapist, or Registered Psychology services.

Do you provide Psychological Services?

Yes, Psychological services are available either by our Managing Director and Psychological Associate, Laura Devlin, or through another therapist under the supervision of a Psychologist or Psychological Associate.

Most of our providers work provide psychological services in a supervised practice when clinically indicated. As a result, the Psychological service provider’s name and registration number will be on the receipt, along with the primary care therapist.

These services can be filed with your insurance company as a psychology service.Most insurers cover this type of supervised service. Please check with yours to confirm your eligibility.

Note: The Psychological Supervisor is never in the room. They will only oversee the notes taken by the therapist and are available for your therapist to reach out to for additional support during your treatment.

Do you Provide Psychological Assessments?

A general assessment is part of all therapy processes. We will always base our work together based off of exhibiting symptoms and will be clear in communicating all processes during your work with a therapist.

Please note: We do not provide psychological assessments or reports for psycho-educational, forensic, or child custody and access purposes.

How many sessions do I need?

As everybody’s situation is different and unique to them, the length of therapy neededdepends on many factors. Your therapist will talk to you more about fees and length of the therapy work during your FREE, 15-minute consultation.

This is also your opportunity to ask the therapist questions, inquire about the types of treatment modalities they might use, and get to know the therapist.

What is the difference between a Psychologist, Psychological Associate, Registered Social Worker and Registered Psychotherapist?

We know, it is very confusing! Our providers are trained in and experienced with providing counselling and psychotherapy services to individuals, couples, children, and families. The main difference between the different designations is the educational path that each individual provider has taken to become a licensed mental health professional.

It’s important to note that despite these different educational paths, we are all authorized by our professional colleges to provide the controlled act of psychotherapy in Ontario.  We often find that we have similar approaches to treatment due to our use of evidence-based treatment modalities

Here’s the rundown on the specifics of our different designations:

The Psychological route means that the provider completed a graduate level degree (either a PhD or Masters) in Psychology and has completed the necessary supervised experience and registration examinations with the College of Psychologists of Ontario to become licensed. Psychological Associates do not have a PhD, they instead have 5 years supervised experience (total 7500 hours) post graduation from a qualifying Masters program, plus the necessary board examinations. Only members of the College of Psychologists or physicians can formally give a Psychological diagnosis in Ontario. Both Psychologists and Psychological Associates are members of the College of Psychologists of Ontario. Members with either title are qualified psychological practitioners in the province of Ontario and covered by insurers as such. Read more about Psychology in Ontario here: https://cpo.on.ca/public/for-employers-insurers-third-party-payers/

Please note that at this time we do not offer formal Psychological Assessments or reports for educational, custody and access, MVA, or forensic purposes.

Registered Social Workers have a Masters Degree in an accredited social work graduate program that requires completion of supervised hours in a therapeutic setting. In addition, many social workers also have an undergraduate bachelor’s degree in Psychology or Social Work.

The Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers (OCSWSSW) regulates the ethical standards of their practice and allows registered social workers to practice the controlled act of Psychotherapy. Registered Social Workers who practice Psychotherapy in Ontario have training in Psychotherapeutic assessment and treatment. As a result, they may also refer to themselves as “psychotherapists” or as providing “psychotherapy” with a clear connection to their registration as a social worker within the OCSWSSW. See this link for more information: https://www.ocswssw.org/professional-practice/regulation-of-psychotherapy/.

Registered Social Workers are required to complete ongoing professional development training and continuing competency practice reviews.

Registered Psychotherapists are registered with the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario. They have varying educational backgrounds, but most have graduate degrees in psychology, psychotherapy, divinity, or counselling. The CRPO has their own registration requirements and all practitioners are required to complete exams on ethics and jurisprudence in addition to a number of post graduate supervised hours.

Our Intern Program

Beaches Therapy Group is proud to support our industry with internship opportunities that offer the next generation of therapists exposure to practical real-world experience. Clients seeking affordable therapy receive a 50% discount on our rate for consultations with qualified interns, who are graduate students from social work and psychotherapy or psychology programs. Each intern receives extensive training on our processes and works closely under the guidance of a clinical supervisor

This remains a popular option at our practice and therapy sessions with our interns are dependent on their availability and caseloads. If you are seeking cost-effective and affordable therapy sessions, then we seamlessly manage the process to ensure you receive the same high standard of care you would from any of our therapists. Your first call with our interning therapists is free, and you may ask questions about their experience level and skill set prior to booking your therapy session.